Saturday, November 21, 2015

What's on tv

Well, speaking of the weather! Just as our weather turns from mild to wintry, we have the Paris climate summit coming up, and various television weather presenters are being interviewed about climate change. The woman on this week's cover, Evelyne Dhéliat, is one we see often. We used to see a lot more of Laurent Romejko when he was on France 2, but he's moved over to France 3 and we don't watch weather on that channel much.

Leo DiCaprio is among the more ecologically-minded movie stars.

What NOT to watch this week. Our tv magazine rates shows and movies using a star system: one star is ok, four stars is best. They use another symbol for really bad movies: the red dot. It means "à zapper" (change the channel!). The editors often include comments about the movie that make me laugh.

A French stinker! Lest you think our editors are chauvinistic, they will pan French films when appropriate. I think this one may have been featured here before, but it's the only red-dot program I could find this week.

Frère et sœur (Brother and Sister). French made-for-tv movie directed by Denis Malleval.
With Bernard Le Coq, Roxane Potereau, and Jacques Sereys.
A fifty-something lawyer and confirmed bachelor sees his father return after being gone for fifty years. He's accompanied by a young woman who turns out to be his daughter.
This comedy thinks it's funny, but there's not much on offer for neither the viewers nor the actors, except to make them uneasy.
For everyone.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sure you saw the story recently about the French weatherman (Philippe Verdier) being fired from France2 for writing a book suggests that climate change is over-hyped. I'm guessing he's not on the list to be interviewed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, that definitely sounds like a must-not-see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. stuart, I hadn't heard, so I looked it up. Very strange!

    mitch, agreed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always excited to hear what is the a zapper de jour. The staff at work are intrigued that I am using the term now in my conversations about patients.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!