Saturday, October 25, 2014

Road trip

Ken, Callie, and I took a short road trip this week to northern Burgundy, very close to Chablis. We rented a small gîte (vacation house) in a small village for three nights and spent a couple of days touring around and tasting wine. We didn't have the best weather, but it wasn't a washout, either.

Just a glimpse of central Avallon. I don't know who the kid is.

The drive over took us about four hours. We set out in the morning and arrived in Pouilly-sur-Loire four lunch, then drove on toward Chablis. We stopped in a couple of towns for a look along the way and to give Callie a chance to stretch her legs. The town in this photo is the Burgundian town of Avallon, built on the heights above the river Cousin. After driving through the historic center (very slowly), we spent about fifteen minutes in a small park on the ramparts. The view is from the park back into town.

9 comments:

  1. Super ! Quand j avais 10 ou 11 ans ( j en ai 63) J allais aider mon arriere grand oncle dans les vignes de Chablis, à cette époque je tirais le cheval ( !!) . Ils vivaient comme au 19e siècle , j avais l'impression de voyager dans le temps !

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely picture! And a lovely old town, by the look of it. Fancy you going to stay in a great wine region, and lunching in another great appelation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such perfect charm. Sounds like a great escape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chablis? A very dry white wine? But dry white wine of my childhood that came in flagons could be quite different. It is a terrific photo. I will save it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good photo. As usual, I might add. Welcome home. I'm happy that Callie survived the trip in the car.
    Paul and I are enjoying those tiny peaches that put up after our visit. I was aiming for jam, but ended up with peaches in a very thick syrup, just right for a spoonful at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Avallon!! This is the town where my au pair family had their country home (where the grandparents lived, and shared with sister and brother-in-law)-- a rustic farmhouse that they had done lots of renovation to. It's where I spent the Christmas holidays that year! There is a Romanesque church in the town. I remember walking in that park on the ramparts, I believe :) Here is a page with a little video of the town, and an image of the front of the church. I hope you went to Vezelay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, fantastic old town. It is very interesting..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed a bottle of Petite Chablis with Roman Spring lamb with you know who tonight.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!